Using Oracle From Home - Instant Client
You can download Instant
Client from Oracle, which is the same software
used in the MI labs. For licensing reasons you must directly download
this from Oracle.
- Go to http://download.oracle.com
- Look for the Instant Client downloads
- Pick what sort of hardware/OS you use at home (e.g, Win 32/Win
- Accept the License Agreement
- Pick the latest version - currenlty Version 188.8.131.52.0
- You need two Instant Client Packages:
- Basic: All files required to run OCI, OCCI, and JDBC-OCI
- SQL*Plus: The SQL*Plus command line tool for SQL and PL/SQL queries
Finally you need a tnsnames.ora file so client can
- Create a directory to hold the unzipped files, e.g. c:\oracle
- Extract both zip files to this same folder (merge files if
- If using the latest version (03/09/19), this will create a
folder called: instantclient_19_3
- Download this file from here (right
click on link and choose "Save Link As...")
- This must be saved in the instantclient_19_3 directory.
- For example, if the files you unzipped are in c:\oracle\instantclient_19_3
then this is where the tnsnames.ora file should be.
To run, double click on the sqlplus file in this
directory - you may wish to create a shortcut to the file on your
This will then work in the same manner as the SQL*Plus in the
University, but please note your files will be saved to your local PC,
not the University file store.
If you are an Apple Mac user, you may need to carry out some additional
commands to update the system variables. See this page:
for a discussion, or try searching online for: tnsnames.ora mac user.
Return to Using Oracle From Home.
Thursday, 03-Oct-2019 16:01:21 BST