SSH Clients - Putty
Accessing the mi-linux server
You must use a Secure Shell (SSH) to access mi-linux.wlv.ac.uk and in the University labs, putty can be used to provide this access.
A putty client is freely available on the web if you need a copy for home use and will run as a standalone executable, even on a memory stick.
If you do not have a copy of putty.exe:
- It is available via the University's AppsAnywhere System.
- Use a search engine, such as Google and search for "putty download"
- Download the putty.exe file to somewhere convenient, e.g., your desktop, documents area, or a memory stick.
No further installation is needed.
Once the putty.exe file is downloaded:
- Double-click on the putty file or icon, for example:
- Then follow the instructions below on how to
After starting putty the following window will appear:
- Ensure that the SSH button is clicked under Protocol
- Type mi-linux.wlv.ac.uk in the Host
- Click on Open to start.
The first time you use this, you will probably get the following
Click on Yes to proceed
When prompted with “login as”,
login with your normal
Username & Passwords:
- This is the username/password you use to logon to a PC in a University lab. The username is your 7-digit student number.
- Remember to press return after entering the username and
- Note, the password (or any asterisks) will not be echoed on the
Tuesday, 10-Nov-2020 17:58:25 GMT